Thursday, December 15, 2011

Peace and Quiet

There is a silly Bill Murray movie from a number of years ago that my kids like to watch named What About Bob. Bill Murray, Bob, is a patient of a psychiatrist that has gone on vacation for a few weeks to Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire ( a lake my kids know well).  Bill Murray can't live without his therapist and so figures out where he is, goes to Lake Winnipesaukee and ends up staying in his therapist's house with his family. After they eat dinner, Bill Murray and the therapist's 10 year old son are goofing off, making lots of noise and start having a pillow fight. The therapist comes in screaming that they need to quiet down and that he wants some peace and quiet. Bill Murray responds with, "Okay, I'll be quiet," and then the son chimes in, "I'll be peace." This line cracks up my kids, especially my boys. This one line is a running joke in our family. If I ever ask for quiet, tell my kids to quiet down, or even say the phrase peace and quiet, my boys will jump on it and one will scream, "I'll be peace" and then the other will follow with, "I'll be quiet."
 In the happy chaos of the season, I hope that you all find those quiet moments. They are there, you just have to pay attention. I was looking through our pictures and noticed some of our quiet moments. Amongst the birthday parties and vacations, soccer games and basketball games, school plays and family gathering, once in a while I catch a glimpse of a quiet and peaceful moment.


The quiet moment when you first arrive to a vacation spot after a long car ride.
The quiet after a heavy snow. 
A quiet moment looking for caterpillars.


As quiet as two boys can be with a picket fence and a stick.


A quiet moment of wonder. 


A quiet moment as if to say, "I understand."


The quietness after the chaos of a chase.


Quietness of an October snow.


The peacefulness in mom and dad's bed after a huge thunderstorm.


The quiet and stillness waiting for the birds to come.


...and if you are quiet enough...they will come.


The peacefulness of two dogs basking in the warmth of the sun.


A quiet dinner table as children solve puzzles before the meal comes.


The quietness of a lake.


The quiet candy coma after a more than exciting Halloween.


The quiet and thoughtfulness of a strategic chess move. 


A quiet moment on the front stoop before the rest of the family came out.


Quietly watching and listening to the water.


Quietly wondering, hoping, and maybe praying to get a basket.


The quietness of a secret.
So keep you eyes and ears open and you may just notice a quiet moment. Sometimes a little quiet can enhance your day.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the connections you made in all the pictures - makes for a wonderful scrap page too : ) Beautiful pictures, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete