Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I'm Going to Stop Telling My Kids to "Be Nice"


On June 9th, in 55 days, Molly and I will be in New York to see Matilda on Broadway. She is so excited! Molly and I read Matilda together and then I found out it was coming to Broadway. She really didn't want anything for her birthday, so I got us tickets to the show. We have already downloaded the music to her ipod and she is singing along. Now she is reading Who was Roald Dahl? and is thoroughly enjoying learning about this British author. I just read the NY Times review for Matilda and I also am looking forward to our NY trip. You can read the review here. 

I love the part that says, " 'Matilda,' you see, is about words and language, books and stories, and their incalculable worth as weapons of defense, attack and survival. It’s about turning the alphabet into magic, and using it to rule the world."

Doesn't that make you want to read it and see the show?



Molly and I are now reading together The London Eye Mystery. She loves everything England. I really think that Molly is an old soul and had another life in England. She actually went to school today wearing her British flag shirt. I just get little glimpses of her from somewhere else every once in a while, like when she says, "The snow is ever so lovely."  While reading Matilda, she just absorbed all the little language differences between American English and British English. 



Molly just finished Who is Jane Goodall? She got both this book and the Roald Dahl book at the school book fair. This was the perfect book for Molly because Jane Goodall is also British and works to save the environment for the chimpanzees.

Molly was reading this book at Shannon's soccer game yesterday. She is very concerned about nature and the environment. Right now in her third grade class, she is learning about soil. Now that it's spring, she wants to go buy plants and flowers for the garden because it will help keep the soil in place.

Look how intense she is writing her notes from the book. She wants to save the world.


I found this paper next to the computer this morning of people she wants to research.


I finished reading Endangered last week. It is thrilling, fascinating and heart warming. It shows how violent and cruel people can be, but how beautiful and compassionate as well. There are some parts you will be sitting on the edge of your seat. I wanted to close my eyes a few times but then realized I couldn't read.




Now I am reading every day. So far, I'm loving it. Yesterday I read,

I know longer think she's just being nice. She's being kind. Which is much more a sign of character than mere niceness. Kindness connects to who you are, while niceness connects to how you want to be seen.

How true is that? We all have thought at one time or another that someone was just "being nice" but we knew in our heart that they weren't sincere. My "mom brain" just took a mental note...stop telling my kids to be nice. I am now going to tell them to be kind and teach them to know the difference between kindness and niceness. I want them to have kind hearts.




No comments:

Post a Comment