Monday, February 11, 2013

Lighthouses, Valentine's Day, and a Kicked-up Leg



I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but when I saw this book in Target, I was drawn to it. There is something about a lighthouse that I just love, their towering height, their beacon of light, they are like welcome mats to the ships trying to make their way to the safety of the harbor. Words that come to mind are strength, guidance, safety, beacon, but also adventure, risk, challenge and adversity.

I bought this book about 6 months ago and it's been in my "to be read" pile ever since. I also bought my mother-in-law books for Christmas. She was having trouble with her back and she was kind of homebound for a while, so for Christmas I bought her books and seasons 1 & 2 of Downton Abbey. She called last week to tell me that she started reading The Light Between Oceans and was loving it. So I finally pulled it out of the pile and started reading it.

Here are a few of the lighthouses that we have visited over the years.




Assateague, VA





Folly Beach, SC







Portsmouth, New Hampshire






Mountak, Long Island







Outer Banks, NC















Outer Banks, NC

We were in the Outer Banks a couple of years ago for Chris' cousin's wedding. We had time during the day to go site seeing. While we were at the top of this lighthouse, a wedding was going on down below.







This was a small lighthouse right outside the wedding reception hall. A couple was getting married right in front of it. The long dock in front of it was the bride's aisle. 


This is the print that Chris gave me as a wedding present almost 19 years ago. It was hanging up in our first apartment when we got back from our honeymoon. It's not a lighthouse, but I'm pretty sure that a lighthouse guided her love's ship home safety to her.


Blossoming out of my heart and into my arms...here, my treasure from the sea. My devoted, Valentine, home at last and forever kissing we'll be. My joy, my love, my beloved sailor never ever leave me. Oh, but alas, how strong Horatio, my captain, the call to wander the sea?

I love that her one leg is kicked up. Have you ever watched a movie when the girl is being kissed and one of her legs goes up? Gets me every time!

Seems appropriate since Valentine's Day is this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment