Monday, October 22, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

 
I love this book! On the book jacket it says:

"Morris Lessmore loved words.
He loved stories.

He loved books.

But every story has its upsets."
This story inspired a short film that won an Academy Award.


Some books are great to share with kids because they help teach reading strategies; predicting, inferring, summarizing. But this book, this book, when shared with kids, may motivate kids to read, help them see that each book has a story and that the story doesn't come to life unless there is someone to read the words on the page. Reading is not all about running records and DRA's. The most important thing is for parents and teachers to get kids to become life long readers. I shared this book with Molly's teacher today and we came up with some great ideas for a lesson for Friday. I'm excited to see how it goes.


I read Granny Torrelli Makes Soup this past week. I  heard the name Sharon Creech many years ago. I know she has written many books. I know she has won the Newbery Award. But I've never read any of her books. So I started with Granny Torrelli Makes Soup. This is the story of two best friends, Rosie and Bailey. But there is more to this story. Sharon Creech is oh so very subtle about the grandmother/granddaughter relationship that Granny and Rosie share. It is a fast read with short chapters. It's only 141 pages long. This makes it perfect for the dormant reader as well as the fact that it's a good story.

 

After I read Granny Torrelli Makes Soup, I went searching for some more Sharon Creech books because I knew I had them. But I had more than I thought. 


Right now Ryan and I are reading Maniac Magee.  He'll read it during the day and then I'll read it before going to bed. This way, we can discuss it. It has short chapters, always a plus when trying to find the just-right-book for Ryan and it has a little bit of intrigue and baseball. I'm looking forward to a good read. 

Timmy is reading Wonder. I purchased this book at the book fair last week and donated it to Ryan's classroom library. I was volunteering today at school and saw his fourth grade teacher from last year and she told me she is in the middle of reading it right now as well. It's such a great story.

Happy Reading!















No comments:

Post a Comment